Our client is a London based IP and software company, that are dedicated to improving data compression by building a vast portfolio of innovative technologies based on the game-changing use of AI and parallel processing for data, video, imaging, and point cloud compression, with applications across several verticals. This is achieved through deep-science R&D (300+ international patents) and the development of products that test, prove, and continuously enhance the technology portfolio.
They have contributed part of its IP to drive standardisation of two codec formats, MPEG-5 Part 2 (LCEVC (Low Complexity Enhancement Video Coding)), a low-complexity enhancement video codec, and SMPTE VC-6 (ST-2117), a high-performance AI-based video and imaging codec.
They are looking for a senior engineer to join their team on a permanent basis to manage the Codec Integration Team. The Integrations Team is a new and developing area within the company as the Codecs gain traction commercially with customers and with open-source video encoders and players that are striving to make LCEVC available within.
The Integration teams have two main focuses:
- Development and maintenance of reference and open-source integrations of the Codecs, principally LCEVC, into video encoding tools such as FFMPEG and video players.
- Work with or for customers on Codec integration projects, this can vary from proof-of-concept player integrations for OTT players through to integrations exercising the video and display capabilities of the latest VR headsets.
Candidates should have a background in software engineering with team management and leadership experience to allow them to lead and build the Integrations team such that it can deliver projects that integrate Codecs into different video playback and encode scenarios for a variety of customers (internal and external) within the Video Ecosystem.
- Provide leadership and technical direction to Integration Team members.
- Identify demand for Integration Engineers and missing skills required for the team
- Responsibility for recruitment of approved roles for the Integration Team.
- Responsibility for supporting assigned work to enable the team to deliver to agreed timescales and quality
- Communicate to relevant stakeholders the latest status, issues, and risks with integration projects
- Provide architectural input and software development for new integration projects
- Contribute to the continual improvement of the team
- Evolve, promote & enforce the effective use of processes and tools within the Integration Team
- Create and maintain technical documentation related to our integrations
- Review requirements, agree acceptance criteria and refer to project/system documentation
- Actively manage the development of engineers
Desirable skills and experience:
- Understanding of system architecture and basic concepts of networking for networking traffic testing the debugging
- Understanding of video and common compression features, particularly video – lossy, lossless, quality metrics, colour spaces
- Understanding of broadcast video techniques and technology – HD-SDI & 3G-SDI Over IP
- Expertise in the end-to-end software development life cycle
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills along with ability to write high quality and efficient software using C++
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including writing technical documentation suitable for public consumption through to project progress reports
- Experience as a manager leading a team of software engineers, with the ability to listen to and guide senior team members as well as mentor and develop more junior engineers
- Experience in Agile software development, task management and tracking tools such as JIRA, as you will actively participate in backlog refinement and Standup/Planning meetings related to projects your team members may be involved with
- Experience working in a delivery-focused role, including experience of working in a customer facing engineering role.
- Proven ability to operate flexibly and effectively in a fast-paced, innovative environment in which cross-functional teamwork and initiative are a must.